Hi Rick,

The general nature of changes to use the Cleaner involve factoring out the cleanup code from the object being cleaned, though in many cases it does not require restructuring. For example, if an object holds a reference to a network socket that needs to be closed
when the object is collected the socket.close() can called by the cleaner:

   Cleaner cleaner = ...;
   final Socket socket = ...;
   Object obj = ...;

   cleaner.register(obj, () -> {
   try {
   socket.close();
        } catch (IOException ioe) { // ignore}
   });

Creating a cleaner starts a thread that does the work so you'll want to decide
how to share it across the uses or to use than one.

Using lambdas for the cleaner functions is very lightweight but be careful to avoid
the using bound variables in the lambda body because they implicitly retain
a reference to the enclosing instance which will prevent the instance from becoming unreferences.

If there are more specific cases of interest let me know,

Regards, Roger