Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the careful reading and comments.

On May 17, 2017, at 1:15 PM, Stuart Marks <stuart.ma...@oracle.com> wrote:

> This is for JDK 9, right, so we want only non-normative doc changes?
>
> I'd think this should be an @apiNote instead of @implSpec. The @apiNote
> clarifies but doesn't change the semantics, whereas @implSpec can impose
> requirements on the implementation and is thus normative.
>
> The intent of the wording is correct, but I also think it's potentially
> confusing, particularly regarding "truncation." If the time resolution (or
> "granularity") in a particular file system is one second, the value returned
> is converted from seconds to milliseconds and no truncation occurs. The "last
> three digits...zero" assumes the value is expressed in decimal, which isn't
> incorrect, but it seems to require more explanation to make sense. I'd leave
> it out.

Good points.

> For APIs with similar issues, see System.currentTimeMillis() and
> System.nanoTime(). In particular, currentTimeMillis() says:
>
>     * Returns the current time in milliseconds.  Note that
>     * while the unit of time of the return value is a millisecond,

This wording "the unit of time of the return value is a millisecond” sounds
weird. I would have written "the unit of time of the return value is
milliseconds.”

>     * the granularity of the value depends on the underlying
>     * operating system and may be larger.  For example, many
>     * operating systems measure time in units of tens of
>     * milliseconds.
>
> I'm not sure "granularity" is the best term, but it seems OK. Maybe the best
> thing to do would be to use this wording and adjust "operating system" to
> "file system".

How about then (ignore formatting)?

    * @apiNote
    * While the unit of time of the return value is milliseconds,
    * the granularity of the value depends on the underlying
    * file system and may be larger.  For example, some
    * file systems use time stamps in units of seconds.

Thanks,

Brian