I'm hoping Xueming will review as well.

+    char asciiCheck;
+    for (asciiCheck = 0, p = str; *p != '\0'; p++) {
+        asciiCheck |= *p;
+    }
+    len = (p - str);

Probably conversion from ptrdiff_t to int needs a cast.

Someday we might need to worry about input string longer than 2^31, but
that's a pre-existing problem.

The signed-ness of char being implementation-defined makes me nervous.
Maybe do all the bit operations using explicit unsigned char, then the
final test becomes simply

asciiCheck <= 0x80