>> or instead of relying on an undocumented behaviour
Fine. Isn't the goal of Java to behave equally on various OSes? If there's a
difference, we should adopt the best variant AND document it. And in this case
it is to throw
an exception on EOF. I don't know about Solaris, but on Windows it's a matter
of what to do when PeekNamedPipe() returns EOF. We can even add a JVM option to
restore the
old behavior, like it was with String.split().