> I'm hoping that JDK core libraries overall do a better job of reusing
> the code in e.g.
> src/hotspot/os/linux/os_linux:os::open
> somehow, that actually gets the CLOEXEC bit right.

os::open is exactly what was used in libjimage before the bug was introduced. I already described it in my first mail.

I'm rarther new with all this. I understand it that hotspot is some sort of staging grounds for alpha features? If so, I can understand why libjimage no longer uses it. Also, it felt reasonable to me that someone wanted a library with dependencies minimzed.