Hi Jacob,

I do have one idea (that i don’t think is currently represented as a bug,
though i have not searched JBS), if you are willing to take it on. It will
require some investigation, and careful testing, it’s not necessarily a starter
bug :-), but i can help guide.

Investigate new methods to more efficiently support ByteBuffer -> String method
on ByteBuffer that can avoid additional copying and makeappropriate use of
charsets given String’s compact string support. You need to look at
jdk.internal.misc.SharedSecrets for clues on how to trampoline between the nio
and lang packages.

Paul.