Hi Tony,

If we anticipate only small number of JdkThreadLocal(s) (there will be only one for the start) then this is a plausible solution. Then perhaps this limitation should be written somewhere in the JdkThreadLocal javadoc so that one day somebody will not be tempted to use JdkThreadLocal(s) en masse. Let's say there will be a few more JdkThreadLocal(s) in the future. Are we willing to pay for a few lookups into a ThreadLocalMap at each and every thread's exit even though such thread did not register a mapping for any JdkThreadLocal? Is an additional reference field in each and every ThreadLocalMap (one per Thread that uses thread locals) a bigger price to pay? I don't know. Will let others comment on this.

Otherwise the code looks good. Just a couple of observations:

Since private static method JdkThreadLocal.add is only called from JdkThreadLocal constructor with just constructed instance (this), there's no possibility for it to be called twice or more times with the same instance. The check for duplicates could go away then, right?

You keep an array of Entry objects which are just wrappers for JdkThreadLocal objects. Are you already planning for Entry to become a WeakReference? Otherwise you could just keep JdkThreadLocal objects in the array directly.

Regards, Peter