It may be confusing (to some, I guess) but it is consistent: the
ThreadLocal subclass author has absolute control over how the value is
presented to the user.  Adding compute() or many of the other
suggested variants will break that guarantee, which seems like kind of
a big deal to me.

What about introducing a different thread local API that has more
modern behavior?  Maybe a new subclass of ThreadLocal?

--
- DML