From:   Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com>
To:     Dave Hobbs <dave_ho...@uk.ibm.com>, core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net
Date:   20/06/2018 18:27
Subject:        Re: Creating a charset provider module for IBM charsets

On 20/06/2018 15:52, Dave Hobbs wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> My understanding is that java.base only exports sun.nio.cs to
jdk.charsets
> i.e java.base module-info.java has:

> exports sun.nio.cs to
>          java.desktop,
>          jdk.charsets;
>
> and jdk.charsets has:
>
> module jdk.charsets {
>      provides java.nio.charset.spi.CharsetProvider with
>          sun.nio.cs.ext.ExtendedCharsets;
> }
>
> So jdk.charsets can use sun.nio.cs, whereas my module can not.
>
> Am I missing something?

Are you proposing to add your module to the JDK or will it live outside?
If the former then just extend the qualified export to add the name of
the module. If the latter then you are out of luck as the sun.nio.cs
infrastructure is not meant to be used outside of the JDK.

-Alan

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.