On 9/20/18, 8:10 AM, Brian Burkhalter wrote:

On Sep 19, 2018, at 5:59 PM, Joe Wang <huizhe.w...@oracle.com <mailto:huizhe.w...@oracle.com>> wrote:

I'll do some performance testing for both cases, FileChannel/direct buffer and possible checksum comparison, although, as you said, the later might not work since we need to be 100%. The probability of false positives is likely extremely low, but is not zero after all. I'll do the performance check any ways just out of curiosity. But in many cases, checksum comparison may not be faster than direct comparison, esp. in this case the API compares just two files. Checksum values would be nice if there are multiple files to compare.

I doubt the checksum test is worthwhile. It might be useful however to try FileChannel and direct byte buffers combined with ByteBuffer.mismatch() [1].

Ok, save the time not to run checksum testing :-) Will do the later, actually, I'm almost sure it will be FileChannel/ByteBuffer (better than the buffered reading).

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks,

Brian

[1] https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk12/docs/api/java.base/java/nio/ByteBuffer.html#mismatch(java.nio.ByteBuffer) <https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk12/docs/api/java.base/java/nio/ByteBuffer.html#mismatch%28java.nio.ByteBuffer%29>