Subject: Re: RFR (12): 8191053: Provide a mechanism to make system's security manager immutable
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 11:34:09 -0400
From: Sean Mullan <sean.mul...@oracle.com>
To: security Dev OpenJDK <security-...@openjdk.java.net>

Hello,

Thanks for all the comments so far, and the interesting discussions about the future of the SecurityManager. We will definitely return to those discussions in the near future, but for now I have a second webrev ready for review for this enhancement:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mullan/webrevs/8191053/webrev.01/

The main changes since the initial revision are:

1. System.setSecurityManager is no longer deprecated. This type of change clearly needs more discussion and is not an essential part of this RFE.

2. After further thought, I took Bernd's suggestion [1] and instead of adding a new property to disallow the setting of a SecurityManager at runtime, have added new tokens to the existing "java.security.manager" system property, named "=disallow", and "=allow" to toggle this behavior. The "=" is to avoid any potential clashes with custom SM classes with those names. I think this is a cleaner approach. There are a couple of new paragraphs in the SecurityManager class description describing the "java.security.manager" property and how the new tokens work.

3. I also added a comment that Bernd had requested [2] on why System.setSecurityManager calls checkPackageAccess("java.lang").

Also, the CSR has been updated: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8203316

Thanks,
Sean

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/security-dev/2018-September/018217.html [2] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/security-dev/2018-September/018193.html