> On Oct 4, 2018, at 2:59 AM, Lindenmaier, Goetz <goetz.lindenma...@sap.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I appreciate this is handled in a JEP and well communicated!
>
> XLc, the compiler we use for AIX, might be a bottleneck here.
>
> But we currently have no compiler-constraints by products on
> our aix port of jdk12 (for jdk11 we must stay with the current
> compiler xlc 12 which does not support C++11, and jdk11 even
> should be compilable with aCC by HP for which we won't
> get new versions!)
>
> We will update our compiler for jdk/jdk to the most recent Xlc
> as soon as possible.
> To my current knowledge, Xlc 14 was dropped, and xlc 16
> is to be released early 2019.  It is supposed to support
> C++ 11, and also some C++ 14 features.

The information I've been able to find mostly discusses Linux support
for XLC 16.  Any information about "some C++14 features"?  I haven't
found any detail on that.

I am working toward being able to target this for JDK 12, but realize
that might not be reachable.  Windows is already there, because of
VS2017 support.  There are a couple of minor patches needed for gcc
and clang based builds; Linux-x64 and MacOSX-x64 have had a fair
amount of ad hoc testing.  We (Oracle) only switched over the
Solaris/sparc builds to the necessary compiler version (Oracle Studio
12.6) very recently, and there are some issues still to be dealt with
there.  And the currently used XLC is just not up to the change.