* Stephen Colebourne:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 09:44, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> * Stephen Colebourne:
>>
>> > No, the day-of-month and day-of-week would remain the same, as the
>> > time is relative to those dates.
>>
>> My expectation is that the values returned by the other methods would
>> change for a getLocalTime() that provides a normalized return value
>> because the transition rule in normalized time is different (i.e., last
>> Saturday in a month turns into something else).
>
> As mentioned in the original mail, it is not always possible to
> normalize the values back to sane values. Trying to do so would result
> in a worse outcome than the proposed change (more deprecations and
> more chance of users hitting compatibility problems).
>
> Current response (until tzdb made their recent change):
> - getDayOfWeek() = Sun
> - getLocalTime() = 01:00
>
> Proposed response:
> - getDayOfWeek() = Sat
> - getLocalTime() = 01:00 (deprecated)
> - getLocalTimeDuration() = 25:00

Hmm.  I'm no longer sure if normalization is always possible.  If the
rule says, “last Saturady in the month at 25:00”, there is no normalized
equivalent because every normalized rule can only express dates that
always fall into the same month, as far as I can see.

If this is correct, I think offering normalized and non-normalized
interfaces is futile.

Does it even make sense to expose this level of detail?  Many transition
rules cannot be expressed in terms of the Gregorian calendar anyway.

Thanks,
Florian