Thanks Ivan!

I agree that the upfront edge case checks aren't really necessary, after all, the great majority of the use cases won't hit the edge case (with the size being a factor of the buffer). We're therefore better off without the checks.

Here's an updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~joehw/jdk12/8202285/webrev_v08/

Best,
Joe