Hi,

I am currently testing many sort algorithms to improve the Marlin renderer
(AA 2D shape rasterizer), I integrated since OpenJDK9 and am still
improving for OpenJDK12 .

I created my MergeSort (top down, check for sorted parts, array / buffer
swap to minimize moves, isort on small sub arrays) that sort 2 int[]:
crossing + edge indices.
 It is critical as edge crossings are sorted at every scanline, data are
almost sorted/reversed, not really random.

3 questions:
- why is this patch dormant ? I checked in openjdk12 repo and your changes
were not integrated.
- I need a sort() method that works with 2 arrays: data + indices (pointer
like). Such sorted indices are useful to use for lookups c[idx[k]] or to
perform other array permutations...
Would you agree adding such new sort(a[], low, high, indices)
- Marlin uses a ThreadLocal context to avoid any allocation. JDK sort()
impl do not accept parameters to give any buffer[] and avoid allocations.
Would you agree adding such optional parameters (like workbase[]) ?

I will experiment adapting the DualPivotQuickSort in Marlin renderer and
perform array sort race & rendering benchmarks.

Cheers,
Laurent