On 12/18/18 3:39 AM, David Holmes wrote:
On 11/12/2018 9:30 pm, Dmitry Chuyko wrote:
On 12/11/18 4:03 AM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Dmitry,

On 11/12/2018 12:16 am, Dmitry Chuyko wrote:
Hello,

Please review a small fix in java_md_solinux.c: continuation is not truly compatible with pthread_create start_routine's signature but we control what actually happens. So it makes sense to add intermediate void* cast to silence the error.

I'd be tempted to fix the signature and get rid of all the casts.

David, the signature is a signature of

int JNICALL JavaMain(void * _args)

It would be fun to change it. But still on Windows it is correctly passed to _beginthreadex() and then return code is extracted with GetExitCodeThread(). In case we want it to return void* the cast will move there.

I think the current double cast is truly ugly and an ifdef for windows, or a cast for Windows only would be an improvement.

I agree. Maybe making a wrapper function is not so ugly. If there are no objections to changing beginning of the call stack it is quite easy to implement. For consistency it may be done for all 3 points (posix unix, posix mac, windows) or just for posix ones.

It looks like ifdef should be better as long as there are already OS-specific parts in libjli. Again, if there are no objections to have different JavaMain signatures on different platforms. In this case there won't be a signature cast for Windows.

-Dmitry

But I won't impose that on you just to silence gcc 8.

Cheers,
David

-Dmitry

Cheers,
David

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dchuyko/8215009/webrev.00/
testing: submit repo (mach5-one-dchuyko-JDK-8215009-20181207-1625-13615: PASSED)

-Dmitry