Hi Ivan,

How does this bug relate to the recent discussion of "JDK-8165199: UUID.fromString(str) compliance checking?":

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2018-December/057470.html

Cheers,

-Joe

On 1/9/2019 3:23 PM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
Hello!

String representation of UUID should conform to RFC4122 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4122>, i.e. each its part has to be of the fixed size.

Unfortunately, the UUID.fromString() method does not keep up to this requirement:
- First, it permits the leading zeroes of any part to be omitted;
- Second, it permits some of the UUID parts to be larger then allowed.  In such a case, the value is effectively clipped with & 0x..FFFF. While some existing application may depend on the former case -- i.e. be able to parse UUID with stripped leading zeroes, the later case is likely to be an error.

In the past, the check on the input has already been strengthened with JDK-8006627 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8006627>.

I propose we go further and make UUID.fromString() to reject such string representations that contain too large individual parts.

If people agree on the proposal, I'll file CSR to fix the change of behavior.

BUGURL: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8216407
WEBREV: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8216407/00/webrev/

Thanks in advance!