Andy is looking into a change which should satisfy the requirement to be able to produce an intermediate app-image (and later create a package from an app-image), while also getting rid of the two sub-commands, and making the building of the installer (package) the default.

The idea would be to get rid of the two sub-commands, making "jpackage" do what "jpackage create-installer" does today, and add the ability to create an app image as an alternative to a .deb, .rpm, etc.

Andy can provide more details, but I think this would be a good alternative without the need for two separate tools, which necessarily would share all of the code to build an application image.

He filed https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8225428 to explore this.

-- Kevin