Maybe because Appendable comes with IOExceptions?

On 21/06/2019 17:06, Robert Marcano wrote:
Greetings. Is there a reason the newest APIs added to Matcher (performance maybe?) with StringBuilder arguments weren't added as Appendable instead?

For example:

   public StringBuilder appendTail(StringBuilder sb)
   public Matcher appendReplacement(StringBuilder sb, String replacement)

Could have been:

   public <T extends Appendable> T appendTail(T ap)
   public Matcher appendReplacement(Appendable ap, String replacement)

Both appendReplacement(...) implementations are copies, that could be reduced to a simple one if Appendable was the argument, and the present ones calling to that.

If this sounds reasonable, I could write a patch for testing.

Note: I was hit with this when trying to use another kind of Appendable optimized for my use case.