Hi Stuart,

On 7/10/19 4:32 AM, Stuart Marks wrote:
1. New changeset with constant version of EnumSet.serialVersionUID.

This is already in the webrev.01 changeset. webrev.02 is an attempt to sneak the change without being visible in the serialized-form.html.

Ah. I skipped webrev.01 because I thought that webrev.02 had superseded it. Looking at webrev.01, I see

+    // value computed from JDK 8 (and previous) EnumSet class
+    // needed to properly cross-(de)serialize EnumSet.class objects
+    // between JDK 8- <-> JDK 9+
+    private static final long serialVersionUID = 1009687484059888093L;
+

I don't think this comment can cover the entire history here. We'll have to rely on the bug report, the CSR, and the email archives.

Most declarations of serialVersionUID don't have a comment at all. So, we could just omit it.

If you feel a comment is necessary, perhaps something like

// declare serialization compatibility with JDK 8 (see JDK-8227368)

I created webrev.03 with your proposed comment:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk-dev/8227368_EnumSet.class_serialization/webrev.03/

might be sufficient. Otherwise, webrev.01 looks fine.