Brian,

Thanks a lot for picking up a bug I filled back in 2015. This looks like a good
cleanup!

I'm a bit concerned though with the added `finally` block in L98. Could that
lead to a subtle behavioral change for (an unlikely) case where a `read` method
exhausts the current stream, then tries to close it, fails (`close` throws
IOException) and then jumps over to the next stream instead of staying on the
current one?

Previously, `read` would be tripping over a closed stream forever.

Theoretically speaking, we might have a case of a "non-sticky" error in the
InputStream. Try to read, fail, try to read again -- you might get lucky.

Thanks,
-Pavel