You should never write inside an application bundle.  (Thank the malware
writers for these restrictions.)

On macOS your writable files should go somewhere under /Library/Application
Support/ or  ~/Library/Application Support/

On Windows you should write to somewhere under %ProgramData%, %APPDATA%, or
%LOCALAPPDATA%

Scott