I've been thinking about this.
output is nicely symmetrical with input and in the case of a default app-image it is more than a single item and personally I'd much rather it not clutter my working directory and again you get symmetry with input which you really want to specify but I'd concede it to be "." as a default over changing the name to dest ...

There is also precedent :
jlink uses -output and these two tools are going to be frequently used together.

So I would like to see the status quo.

-phil.