Hello, everyone, I finally found this list, as well as a way to search it, and
so hope this question is relevant and appropriate and not already answered.

For some time I have been using an old javapackager along with a newer release
of jlink to create native macOS installers for a free, open-source Swing
application, and am very excited to see that JEP-343 is finally on the horizon
so I soon can stop relying on the ancient javapackager. Still, its ability to
code sign my installer DMG has been very beneficial to my less-Java-savvy users
(generally musicians and light/laser/video technicians running stage shows).

Apple’s current operating system, Catalina, adds still more hoops for
developers to jump through in order to enable their software to be run without
complaint and complexity: It needs to be notarized (uploaded to Apple and
scanned for malicious code and other unsafe properties). I am not asking if
jpackage might assist with the notarization step any time soon; that is
something that can be accomplished separately after the code-signed package or
disk image has been produced.

The issue, however, is that for notarization to succeed, the code signing must
be performed in a manner that causes the application to use the hardened
runtime, and therefore a set of entitlements must be added in order for Java
code to run successfully. (These requirements have been temporarily relaxed
because so few developers were ready for them, but they will be returning
soon.) I could not see any evidence in the jpackage documentation or help text
that it could support these code signing options, specifically —timestamp,
—options runtime, and —entitlements entitlements.plist (for full details on
getting this process to work, I found the following two articles incredibly
helpful: http://www.zarkonnen.com/signing_notarizing_catalina
<http://www.zarkonnen.com/signing_notarizing_catalina> and
http://kothar.net/macos_catalina_java_11
<http://kothar.net/macos_catalina_java_11> ).

Is this something that is on the radar for a future jpackage release? Failing
that, is there a way to perform the code signing separately and still use
jpackage to produce the disk image?

Thanks for any thoughts or insight you might be able to share,

        -James