Welcome to the troublesome world of zip implementations!

It looks like by creating a new JarEntry you are discarding possible
information from the old one, e.g. you might be discarding whether the
input entry was compressed.  If "jar u" does that, I would consider it a
bug!

Arguably there is a missing API that would allow you to copy zip entries
from an input to an output completely intact, without having to decompress
and recompress.  (might be hard to design!)

Probably there should be no such utility method as updateJarFile at all.
Perhaps instead the jar/zip code could be refactored so that tests can
reuse the same code used by "jar u".