> > Are we really willing to maintain tests for UTF-8, ASCII-compatible, and
> > ASCII-incompatible code paths?
>
> If we aren't then I think we should terminally deprecate all the ZipFile
> constructors that take a Charset argument. Not a call I can make.

I mean more generally.  You're proposing to fix zip files where the
metadata is UTF-16 encoded.

But I suspect we aren't testing such zip files at all, and I suspect it's
broken in other ways, that we might discover by expanding our zip tests to
fully cover such zip files.

> > ASCII-compatibility is also deeply embedded in the original C code,
> > which is still there
>
> Yep, the assumption go way back, but as long as it's functionality only
> relevant to jar files it's fine in both impls.
>
> Is there any usage left of the C implementation these days?

Bootclassloader likely doesn't use java code!
So -Xbootclasspath/a is implemented using that C code.

---
The number one reason to make a zip test "manual" is that it consumes too
many resources to run all the time.