Hi David,

So the issue is that while glibc 2.12 (in OEL6.4) supports
clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME) it requires a runtime dependency on
librt.so, which is an optional runtime dependency, hence the dynamic
lookup you mention. The complexity of dynamic lookup makes this
enhancement unattractive. But when openjdk updates to require glibc
>=2.17 it would be trivial, because clock_gettime() was moved into the
core libc.so.

With glibc >= 2.17 there would still need to be a call to
clock_gettime() to see if the optional CLOCK_MONOTONIC is supported,
whereas CLOCK_REALTIME is required by the Posix spec and header docs.

---
This leads me to ask a different question:

What is the openjdk process for reviewing and updating its minimum dependencies?
- When are dependencies reviewed?
- What is the mailgroup to look at? (please let me know if there is a
better place to ask this question)

The info I found was last updated for JDK 13:
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Build/Supported+Build+Platforms

- Glibc 2.12 was released in 2010 and glibc 2.17 in 2012
- The current openjdk LTS release is Java SE 11 in September 2018,
supported through to October 2024 (extended support to September
2026): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history).
- Oracle Enterprise Linux 7.0 released in 2014 included glibc 2.17

These dates suggest an update of openjdk's glibc dependency might be due.
But I guess the driving factor is how the timelines of openjdk LTS
release support fits with those of Oracle Enterprise Linux versions.

---
FYI some observations on my experience of building and testing openjdk.

I installed OEL6.4, but found it very tricky to build a `real` openjdk
distribution on a current Ubuntu that would run with all features on
OEL6.4.
- The base openjdk build was easy to use, but it built a JDK with elf
dependencies based on my OS, so of course would not run on OLE6.
- The openjdk make/devkit infrastructure didn't work for me to make an
OEL6 build, after lots of attempts (including running in chroot or
docker isolation). I'm sure it works reliably, provided you have the
correct OS setup. But its not easy for an outsider to replicate that.
- The AdoptOpenJDK Docker build was super easy to use, and I liked
that it used Docker to use a reproducible and fully scripted OS build
environment. https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-build
- But AdoptOpenJDK Docker build doesn't support building and using an
OEL6 devkit. AdoptOpenJDK build targets RHEL 7.4+:
https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-build/wiki/%5BWIP%5D-Minimum-OS-levels

openjdk's devkit infra must pre-date the rise of Docker, and fully
reproducible build environments becoming the norm.
Maybe one day there will be time to use Docker or similar to simplify
the openjdk build, and making it easy for anyone to reproduce.

As with using newer glibc features (glibc 2.17 vs 2.12), its likely to
be drastically simpler when openjdk is able to update dependencies to
newer OS versions. Especially if openjdk can be built on its minimum
required per-platform OS version in a (Docker) container.

Mark