Stuart,

I assume Deque/Queue would suffer the same issue as List.  It would be nice to
some how ensure ArrayDeque.contains is not called as far as the heuristic goes.
 Looks like PriorityQueue uses equals for contains but that is not to say there
are not other queue implementations in the wild that do something different.

The more I think about it in general, it seems like your task would be easier
if you could declare:
1. AbstractCollection.removeAll should assume this.contains is O(N) and iterate
over this and check contains on arg.
2. AbstractSet.removeAll should iterate over argument and assume that
this.contains/remove is at least O(log (N)) and assume argument.contains is
O(N).
3. Concrete implementations of removeAll know the cost of their contains
method.  If it is known to be O(N) then walk this otherwise walk the arg.
4. Include an example in removeAll that says if membership semantics differ
between sets use: source.removeIf(e -> removals.contains(e)); or
removals.forEach(e -> source.remove(e)); instead.  If they don't differ then
use removeAll.

Given this has been around since JDK 1.3 would it be safe to assume that code
that is mixing collections with different membership semantics is already
working around this issue and therefore the risk is a bit lower in changing the
spec?  Lots of concrete implementations already override removeAll anyway.

Jason