On 24/06/2020 1:17 pm, Mandy Chung wrote:
On 6/23/20 7:48 PM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Mandy,

The trouble with small clarifications is that they tend to draw attention to larger issues :)

On 24/06/2020 7:42 am, Mandy Chung wrote:

On 6/23/20 12:01 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
Hi Mandy,

There may be a missing "to" in:

+ *     <em>Platform classes</em> are visible the platform class loader
++ *     <em>Platform classes</em> are visible *via* the platform class loader

I caught this accidental change too.

The second change seems to be self referential using "parent" to define itself.

And pre-existing in the description of getSystemClassLoader:

* The platform class loader is a parent or an ancestor of the system class * loader that all platform classes are visible to it.

Is missing "so" in :

* loader so that all platform classes are visible to it.

Both paragraphs are difficult to read and understand. (  I think the originals are more readable).

I made a minor adjustment to break the sentence into two.  That should help.

Reading the javadoc I'm left somewhat confused about the role of the Bootstrap class loader versus the Platform class loader these days. What classes does the Bootstrap class loader actually load?

This is implementation specific. JEP 261 [1] documents which Java SE and JDK module is defined to which loader in JDK 9.   The source of truth is  make/common/Modules.gmk.

https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/261#Class-loaders

Thanks for that Mandy. Hard to capture all that in only a few lines of javadoc, but I think we can do better than what is presently there. Different RFE though :)

David

Mandy