On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 16:10:23 GMT, Kevin Rushforth <k...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This will cause a regression in behavior. It will break existing JavaFX
>> applications that do not have a main program. It could also break
>> applications that create or use certain JavaFX objects in the class
>> initializer of their JavaFX application.
>>
>> There was [some initial
>> discussion](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8202553?focusedCommentId=14176584&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14176584)
>>  around doing this as a follow-on to the removal of JavaFX from JDK 11, but
>> if it is to be done, it needs to be discussed first. It would need to be
>> done using a process similar to deprecation-for-removal. We would need to
>> make changes in the JDK and/or JavaFX to warn about this in one release, and
>> then remove it in the following. A CSR would be needed for both steps.
>>
>> I note that while I disagree with the rationale described in
>> [JDK-8248122](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8248122) for making
>> this change, I am not necessarily opposed to the change itself.
>
> This also needs to be discussed on the openjfx-dev mailing list, since it
> will have behavioral compatibility implications for JavaFX.

Indeed this is very much of out the blue and the pre-existence of a bug report
discussing this does not mean it
has been accepted to be done ..

And launcher changes need to be done carefully. I would expect them to come
from someone who has a long history of contributions in this area and has had
extensive discussions with stakeholders before moving on to code ..