On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 15:50:11 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Ok, but then how about putting a similar note in the javadoc for the
> > RuntimePermission "modifyThreadGroup" target?
>
> The "modifyThread" and "modifyThreadGroup" permission targets list methods
> that have been terminally deprecated for some time, are you looking for both
> permission targets to be updated? I could imagine doing an overall here, also
> re-visiting SecurityManager checkAccess(ThreadGroup) but it feels like it's
> beyond the scope of the deprecation proposed here and would be better off
> being left to when we eventually degrade and/or remove these methods.

Ok, I see there is a broader context for my comment. I think then it makes
sense to open a separate issue to specify these various RuntimePermission
targets that are associated with deprecated APIs. In my mind, these permission
targets are standard targets and should also be "deprecated" even if there is
no annotation that can formally indicate that. For comparison,
SecurityPermission puts these in a separate table in the class summary:
https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk16/docs/api/java.base/java/security/SecurityPermission.html
If you agree, I can file an issue.