On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 04:09:16 GMT, Stuart Marks <sma...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Joe Darcy has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Fix typos in javadoc tags found during review.
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Comparable.java line 68:
>
>> 66:  * orderings that are consistent with equals.  One exception is
>> 67:  * {@link java.math.BigDecimal}, whose {@linkplain
>> java.math.BigDecimal#compareTo natural ordering} equates
>> 68:  * {@code BigDecimal} objects with equal numerical values and different
>> representations
>
> Nothing here talks about the representation of BigDecimal. I think it would
> be preferable to say that in BigDecimal, the `equals()` method considers 4.0
> and 4.00 unequal because they have different precisions; however,
> `compareTo()` considers them equal because it considers only their numerical
> values.

In BigDecimal, I'll add a sentence:

" The results of methods like {@link scale} and {@link unscaledValue} will
differ for numerically equal values with different representations."

Talking about "precision" and BigDecimal is more appropriate for pre-JSR 13
BigDecimal since values like zero can have the same precision (1 digit) but
many different scales.