On 20/03/2021 07:16, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
:

I received some inputs on that Ant bugzilla issue. Based on that, I was able to reproduce the exception and IMO it's a bug in Files.newOutputStream() API. I have opened https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8263898 with the relevant details. I considered this a bug and took the liberty of opening that JBS issue because as I note in that issue, this only happens specifically when TRUNCATE_EXISTING (default) option gets used against "nul" on Windows.

OutputStream.nullOutputStream() may be a better and more portable alternative. In general, the DOS era reserved names (including NUL) are very under specified and many file operations lead to surprising behavior (this isn't solely a JDK issue, I think other runtimes and languages also get tripped up). In this case, the attempt to truncate the file to zero length is failing. Sure, it can be be worked around but workarounds like this tend to cause issues in other unusual cases so care is required.

-Alan.