If you agree, I'll prepare a PR with all the changes and the bug narrative for you to add to bugs.openjdk.org (I only have read access).

Greetings
Raffaello

On 2021-03-26 16:08, Roger Riggs wrote:
fyi,  a PR to make the methods static.

https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/3205

On 3/15/21 4:26 PM, Raffaello Giulietti wrote:
Hello,

I understand your points expressed in https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2020-October/070317.html

On the other hand, it kind of hurts when the javadoc spec implies that the fromXXX() methods do not logically depend on the state and yet one has to invoke them on some instance anyway.

As for HexFormat.of() to always return the same instance, you are of course right in observing that this is out of place for value-based classes. The intent was to describe a static-like idiom that would deter programmers to rewrite their own static version of these methods.

Greetings
Raffaello

Hi,

The question about static vs instance methods was raised during the review. At the time, my rationale for the current API is summarized in this email. https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2020-October/070317.html

It comes down to choosing one kind of consistency vs another.

I was/am looking for additional comments to weigh one or the other alternative. I did receive one offline comment in support of static methods on the rationale of
convenience.

Regards, Roger