Hi Paul,

On 2021-03-30 22:54, Paul Sandoz wrote:

On Mar 30, 2021, at 1:03 PM, Brian Goetz <brian.go...@oracle.com> wrote:

Overall, I'd be happy to see Decimal types that are aimed at "reasonable
precision" in addition to the infinite precision that BD offers.  (After Valhalla,
of course.)

Yes, me too.

Raffaello, as an experiment you could develop such classes as primitive classes
compiled against recent builds of Valhalla.

I guess the most recent builds of Valhalla are those resulting from building from the source code in the git repo. Or are you recommending the official ea releases instead?

I ask because I plan to use the latest release from the git repo and keeping it current, not the ea release.

I would caution against unduly biasing towards "business applications”, as I
think with primitive classes and other possible features Java can become a better
platform for scientific or engineering purposes.

As an example we are making progress with the Vector API and in the
panama-vector repo we have integrated with code of Intel’s Short Vector Math
Library, which may open the possibility for it to be used by the
auto-vectorizer too.

Paul.

As far as I can tell, scientific computation will make use of binary floating point numbers for a long time. Decimal floating point numbers are still limited to biz and fin applications.

Does Intel's lib operates on decimal formats as well?

Greetings
Raffaello