On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 01:24:04 GMT, Alexander Matveev <almat...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> - Issue was reproducible when install-dir points to some invalid location.
>  - Fixed by defaulting DMG drag and drop location to /Applications folder and
> --install-dir will be ignored with warning for DMG.
>  - I do not see any way to support other valid, but uncommon locations for
> drag and drop. For example: /Users/USERNAME/Applications is not possible to
> support since user name is not known. /usr/bin requires root privileges and
> should contain symbolic links. Locations which does not exist also not
> possible to support, since DMG cannot create paths. So
> /Applications/MyCompany is not possible for DMG.

Not sure if I understood question about PKG. PKG can create destination folders
and will have root access once elevated, so user can specify any locations for
--install-dir in case of PKG.
Well DMG is not an installer it is just disk image which contains app (think of
it as archive file), so we cannot really support all functionality with DMG as
with actual installers.
Yes, I can check if install-dir exist with apple script, but destination
machine might not have this folder. Permissions might be different on folder on
machine which generates DMG and machine which will install it.
If PKG cannot be install into user home Applications folder, then it is another
bug.

Also, if someone really want --install-dir to some other location they can
overwrite apple script we using via resource folder. This fix only affects
apple script we generate to customize DMG. Extra step for user, but I think it
will not be common anyway.