On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:55:59 GMT, Tagir F. Valeev <tval...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I decided to show a complete static method in the example, so it could be
> copied to user utility class as is. Not sure if it's reasonable to add
> `assert cls.isRecord();` there. Also I don't know whether there's a
> limitation on max characters in the sample code. Probable a line break in
> `static <T extends Record>\nConstructor<T> getCanonicalConstructor(Class<T>
> cls)` is unnecessary.
>
> ---
> Aside from this PR, I've found a couple of things to clean up in
> `java.lang.Class`:
> 1. There's erroneous JavaDoc link in `getSimpleName()` JavaDoc (introduced by
> @jddarcy in #3038). It should be `#isArray()` instead of `isArray()`.
> 2. Methods Atomic::casAnnotationType and Atomic::casAnnotationData have
> unused type parameters `<T>`.
> 3. Probably too much but AnnotationData can be nicely converted to a record!
> Not sure, probably nobody wants to have `java.lang.Record` initialized too
> early or increasing the footprint of such a basic class in the metaspace, so
> I don't insist on this.
>

>     private record AnnotationData(
>         Map<Class<? extends Annotation>, Annotation> annotations,
>         Map<Class<? extends Annotation>, Annotation> declaredAnnotations,
>         // Value of classRedefinedCount when we created this AnnotationData
> instance
>         int redefinedCount) {
>     }
>

> Please tell me if it's ok to fix 1 and 2 along with this PR.

Thanks for writing this example.

I think that the example lines can be longer. I'd suggest putting the main part
of the method declaration on the same line as `static <T extends Record>`, but
leaving the `throws` clause on the next line.

I think including the small cleanups (1) and (2) in this PR is fine. Changing
`AnnotationData` to be a record seems like it might have other effects, so I'd
leave that one out.

One other thing I'd like to see is a link to this example code from places
where people are likely to look for it. The class doc for `java.lang.Record`
has a definition for "canonical constructor" so it would be nice to link to the
example here. Something like "For further information about how to find the
canonical constructor reflectively, see Class::getRecordComponents." (With
appropriate javadoc markup.) This could either be a parenthetical comment
somewhere in the "canonical constructor" discussion, or possibly a separate
paragraph in the `@apiNote` section below.