On 21/05/2021 01:11, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Peter,

On 21/05/2021 12:42 am, Peter Levart wrote:
Hi Aleksei,

Are you trying to solve this in principle or do you have a concrete problem at hand which triggers this deadlock? If it is the later, then some rearrangement of code might do the trick... For example, native libraries are typically loaded by a class initializer of some class that is guaranteed to be initialized before the 1st invocation of a native method from such library. But if such class can also be loaded and initialized by some other trigger, deadlock can occur. Best remedy for such situation is to move all native methods to a special class that serves just for interfacing with native code and also contains an initializer that loads the native library and nothing else. Such arrangement would ensure that the order of taking locks is always the same: classLoadingLock -> nativeLibraryLock ...

There were specific examples for this problem, but Aleksei is trying to define a general solution - which unfortunately doesn't exist.

The basic deadlock scenario is a special variant of the general class initialization deadlock:

Thread 1:
- loadLibrary
 - acquire loadLibrary global lock
   - call JNI_OnLoad
     - use class Foo (which needs to be loaded and initialized)
       - block acquiring <clinit> lock for Foo

Thread 2:
 - Initialize class Foo
  - Acquire <clinit> lock for Foo
    - <clinit>
      - call loadLibrary(x) // for any X
       - block acquiring loadLibrary global lock

We can reduce the chance of deadlock by using a per-native-library lock instead of the global loadLibrary lock - which is what Aleksei's initial version did. But we cannot remove all deadlock possibility because we must ensure only one thread can be executing JNI_OnLoad for any given native library.

Right, I was just trying to suggest that by exercising some discipline about how to arrange code that loads native libraries, deadlocks can be avoided if also Aleksei's initial version of the patch is used (using a per-native-library lock instead of the global loadLibrary lock). The discipline would be to load a particular native library only from <clinit> of a unique class associated with that native library. If everybody followed this discipline (which fortunately is typical use of loadLibrary), then without Aleksei's patch, deadlock is still possible. Imagine two native libraries A and B, each loaded from <clinit> of corresponding classes ClassA and ClassB. Library A also has JNI_OnLoad which uses ClassB. So we have:

Thread 1:
    - initialize ClassA
    - acquire <clinit> lock for ClassA
        - ClassA.<clinit>
        - call loadLibrary(A)
        - acquire loadLibrary global lock
            - call JNI_OnLoad for A
            - use class ClassB (which needs to be loaded and initialized)
            - block acquiring <clinit> lock for ClassB

Thread 2:
    - initialize ClassB
    - acquire <clinit> lock for ClassB
        - ClassB.<clinit>
        - call loadLibrary(B)
        - block acquiring loadLibrary global lock

With Aleksei's initial patch, such scenario would not result in a deadlock. And since such scenario can arise from typical use of loadLibrary, I think this patch is a good thing. It reduces number of scenarios where deadlock is a possible outcome. Here's another scenario where deadlock would still occur even with Sergei's initial patch. It is a modified variant of above scenario where JNI_OnLoad of library A uses ClassB and JNI_OnLoad of library B uses ClassA:

Thread 1:
    - initialize ClassA
    - acquire <clinit> lock for ClassA
        - ClassA.<clinit>
        - call loadLibrary(A)
        - acquire loadLibrary(A) lock
            - call JNI_OnLoad for A
            - use class ClassB (which needs to be loaded and initialized)
            - block acquiring <clinit> lock for ClassB

Thread 2:
    - initialize ClassB
    - acquire <clinit> lock for ClassB
        - ClassB.<clinit>
        - call loadLibrary(B)
        - acquire loadLibrary(B) lock
            - call JNI_OnLoad for B
            - use class ClassA (which needs to be loaded and initialized)
            - block acquiring <clinit> lock for ClassA

But in this scenario, deadlock is provoked without blocking on any loadLibrary lock. This deadlock arises from circular dependencies among classes in their <clinit> methods. It just happens that these dependencies are evaluated via a chain of: X.<clinit> -> loadLibrary -> JNI_OnLoad -> use class Y calls. Such deadlock is possible without involvement of native libraries loading too, so I would not classify it as the problem that Sergei's patch is trying to solve.

I still haven't found a scenario of a possible deadlock when Sergei's initial patch is combined with the above mentioned discipline in which a loadLibrary lock would be involved.

Regards, Peter

Cheers,
David
-----