I’ve been looking for some specification of what happens when a file request is
made using a path that is too long (whatever that means to the underlying
system).
I have not found one.
Is there one?

My opinion is that silent truncation should not happen. Instead, an exception
should be thrown.

I have had the misfortunate of using an application (not Java) that did not
check path lengths and the OS truncated the paths.
The result was a kind of corruption to an implied schema causing incorrect
search results and potentially data loss.

Writing defensively to protect against silent path truncation is probably quite
challenging, as well as tedious,
especially when working with a system-independent API.

If it is not already covered, I would like to see the specification mandate
exceptions instead of silent truncation.