On 21/09/2021 14:21, Andy Herrick wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with this offhand. the runtime should be able to be anywhere if the cfg files "app.runtime" line points to it.

Is this on windows ? Is the the released JDK17 used both for the jlinked runtime and the jpackage tool ?

Are there any libraries in $APPDIR (which is added to the $PATH env variable on windows) which could be interfering with encoding initialization ?

Can you try the following experiment:

manually edit the cfg file line:

app.runtime=$APPDIR\..\my_own_folder\where_the_jre_is_deeper\jre

to contain the canonical path to ...\my_own_folder\where_the_jre_is_deeper\jre

and try again ?

The exception suggests that something is seriously broken, maybe that early VM initialization didn't execute correctly but I can't see what it didn't fail earlier. It would be great if there are steps to duplicate this.

-Alan.