On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:03:25 GMT, Markus Grönlund <mgron...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Greetings,
>>
>> Object.finalize() was deprecated in JDK9. There is an ongoing effort to
>> replace and mitigate Object.finalize() uses in the JDK libraries; please see
>> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8253568 for more information.
>>
>> We also like to assist users in replacing and mitigating uses in non-JDK
>> code.
>>
>> Hence, this changeset adds a periodic JFR event to help identify which
>> classes are overriding Object.finalize().
>>
>> Thanks
>> Markus
>
> Markus Grönlund has refreshed the contents of this pull request, and previous
> commits have been removed. The incremental views will show differences
> compared to the previous content of the PR.

src/hotspot/share/jfr/support/jfrSymbolTable.cpp line 75:

> 73:
> 74: JfrSymbolTable::JfrSymbolTable() :
> 75:   _symbol_table(new SymbolTable(this)),

I'm confused about which symbol table this is.  Is this the same SymbolTable as
classfile/symbolTable.cpp? that instance is assumed to be a singleton.  Is this
a different SymbolTable and can it have a different name (thought it was
JfrSymbolTable).

src/hotspot/share/jfr/support/jfrSymbolTable.hpp line 68:

> 66:   template <typename, typename, template<typename, typename> class,
> typename, size_t>
> 67:   friend class HashTableHost;
> 68:   typedef HashTableHost<const Symbol*, traceid, ListEntry,
> JfrSymbolTable> SymbolTable;

Oh here it is.  Since it's an enclosed type, can you rename it something
simpler like Symbols and the other Strings?