On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 16:10:26 GMT, Ichiroh Takiguchi <itakigu...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> JEP-400 (UTF-8 by Default) was eabled on JDK18-b13.
>> After JDK18-b13, javac and some other langtool command's usage were garbled
>> on Japanese Windows.
>> These commands use PrintWriter instead of standard out/err with PrintStream.
>
> Ichiroh Takiguchi has updated the pull request with a new target base due to
> a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes
> brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains five additional
> commits since the last revision:
>
>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>  - Langtools command's usage were grabled on Japanese Windows

Generally, I think it would be a good goal for JEP-400 to not require any
source-code changes to any use-sites, at least for this common idiom of
wrapping a `PrintStream` in a `PrintWriter`.  While we may have the ability to
change JDK use-sites, we do not have the ability to change any usages outside
of JDK, and we should try not to break those usages in the way that the JDK
tools have been broken.