On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 19:48:25 GMT, kabutz <d...@openjdk.java.net> wrote:

>> BigInteger currently uses three different algorithms for multiply. The
>> simple quadratic algorithm, then the slightly better Karatsuba if we exceed
>> a bit count and then Toom Cook 3 once we go into the several thousands of
>> bits. Since Toom Cook 3 is a recursive algorithm, it is trivial to
>> parallelize it. I have demonstrated this several times in conference talks.
>> In order to be consistent with other classes such as Arrays and Collection,
>> I have added a parallelMultiply() method. Internally we have added a
>> parameter to the private multiply method to indicate whether the calculation
>> should be done in parallel.
>>
>> The performance improvements are as should be expected. Fibonacci of 100
>> million (using a single-threaded Dijkstra's sum of squares version)
>> completes in 9.2 seconds with the parallelMultiply() vs 25.3 seconds with
>> the sequential multiply() method. This is on my 1-8-2 laptop. The final
>> multiplications are with very large numbers, which then benefit from the
>> parallelization of Toom-Cook 3. Fibonacci 100 million is a 347084 bit number.
>>
>> We have also parallelized the private square() method. Internally, the
>> square() method defaults to be sequential.
>>
>> Some benchmark results, run on my 1-6-2 server:
>>

>> Benchmark                                          (n)  Mode  Cnt      Score
>>      Error  Units
>> BigIntegerParallelMultiply.multiply            1000000    ss    4     51.707
>> ±   11.194  ms/op
>> BigIntegerParallelMultiply.multiply           10000000    ss    4    988.302
>> ±  235.977  ms/op
>> BigIntegerParallelMultiply.multiply          100000000    ss    4  24662.063
>> ± 1123.329  ms/op
>> BigIntegerParallelMultiply.parallelMultiply    1000000    ss    4     49.337
>> ±   26.611  ms/op
>> BigIntegerParallelMultiply.parallelMultiply   10000000    ss    4    527.560
>> ±  268.903  ms/op
>> BigIntegerParallelMultiply.parallelMultiply  100000000    ss    4   9076.551
>> ± 1899.444  ms/op
>>

>> We can see that for larger calculations (fib 100m), the execution is 2.7x
>> faster in parallel. For medium size (fib 10m) it is 1.873x faster. And for
>> small (fib 1m) it is roughly the same. Considering that the fibonacci
>> algorithm that we used was in itself sequential, and that the last 3
>> calculations would dominate, 2.7x faster should probably be considered quite
>> good on a 1-6-2 machine.
>
> kabutz has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit
> since the last revision:
>
>   Removed JVM flags from benchmark

To add my 2c IMO a parallel version of this type absolutely **must** be opt-in.
There are simply far too many side-effects of using the FJP and multiple
threads to perform the calculation in parallel as if it is just a minor
implementation detail. A clear API is 1000x better than a "kill switch".

And yes you may still need to expose some kind of tuning knob.

David