I would think that if a class is marked immutable that would imply all the
fields in it and from its inherited
classes should be immutable. If fields are marked immutable then it would only
apply to them.

What I wonder is what its relationship to final would be. The final annotation
implies that a field must be
set in the constructor and cannot be modified after that. I would imagine that
@immutable to have to imply
@final but would also apply at runtime. For example, where declaring a List
field as final means you cannot
replace the List once it is set. I would expect @Immutable to do the same but
also mean that you cannot
add elements to the List through that reference. But that would also mean that
you cannot pass the reference
to another variable that isn’t also annotated with @Immutable - unless the
immutable attribute becomes some
kind of internal flag on the object.

To be clear, this concept is always something I have wanted in Java. It is a
real pain to have to do things like
List<String> list = Collections.unmodifiableList(List.of(“foo”, “bar”));

Instead, it would be nice to be able to do
@Immutable List<?> list = List.of(“foo”, “bar”);

Although the two could be implemented to do the same thing, the second could
prevent passing the field in a
parameter that wasn’t declared @Immutable. Likewise, passing a non-immutable
list in a parameter annotated
with @Immutable could cause the list to be copied to an immutable list