On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 13:20:46 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> Originally this was spotted by by Amir Hadadi in
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70272651/missing-bounds-checking-elimination-in-string-constructor
>>
>> Before anyone looks at this, can you confirm that the patch does not include
>> any code or tests/benchmarks that were taken from SO?
>
>> @AlanBateman the benchmark is mine along with the changes for
>> `translateEscapes` and `newStringUTF8NoRepl`, the change for constructor is
>> from SO.
>
> I don't know how we can progress this PR if the patch includes code copied
> from SO. Maybe the PR should be closed, the JBS issue unassigned, and leave
> it to someone else to start again? Maybe you could get Amit to sign the OCA
> and you co-contribute/author the PR? I can't look at the patch so I don't
> know how significant the changes, maybe there are other options.

@AlanBateman I suggest to decide first whether this should be fixed on HotSpot
level (which is the best option to me) or on Java level.

If we choose HotSpot then the issue should be reassigned, because I cannot do
the fix myself.

If we choose Java then I would revert the change for String constructor and
Amir would commit it into this branch having OCA signed.

What do you think?