On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 at 19:23, Naoto Sato <naoto.s...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Now come to think of it, I came up with the draft based on `ofPattern()`
> methods. One of them is a overload method that takes a Locale argument.
> Why is it so?

There is a case for the Locale on the static method (as a convenience,
and to remind callers that the locale matters). But there is no case
for it on the builder.

> > The spec Javadoc doesn't explain what repeating the pattern letter
> > actually does/means. Is "M" the same as "MMMM"?
>
> That depends on the locale and the availability of the formats. For
> example, 'M' translates into these patterns in each locale with
> Gregorian calendar:
>
> https://unicode-org.github.io/cldr-staging/charts/40/by_type/date_&_time.gregorian.html#959cbb42bb2962f

As things stand, the Javadoc isn't a standalone spec. I don't know how
much that matters, but I think there should be some indication in
Javadoc as to why the letter should be repeated.

Stephen