On Thu, 5 May 2022 17:43:58 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <sh...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I am sorry to be a buzzkill here, but this integration would break lots of
> platforms even when Loom functionality is not enabled/used. For example,
> running `java -version` on RISC-V runs into many issues:
> `TemplateInterpreterGenerator::generate_Continuation_doYield_entry` runs into
> `Unimplemented()`, `UnsafeCopyMemory` asserts about UCM table size,
> `NativeDeoptInstruction::is_deopt` would run into `Unimplemented()` while
> being called from signal handler.
>
> This effectively blocks development on those platforms, and it seems to be
> too much breakage for a preview feature. Are we really breaking these
> platforms? Do we have plans in place with maintainers of those platforms to
> fix all this in JDK 19 timeframe? I'd suggest holding off the integration
> until such a plan and agreement is in place.

We mailed porters-dev in Sep 2021 to give a heads up that this feature would
require porting work so it shouldn't be a surprise. We have been open to
including other ports with the initial integration but it was never a goal to
have all the ports done in advance of that.

Most of the new code in the VM is only used when running with --enable-preview.
You'll see several places that test Continuations::enabled(). It should be
possible to get these port running without -enable-preview without much effort.
The feature has to be implemented to pass all the tests of course.