On Mon, 23 May 2022 07:29:56 GMT, Adam Sotona <asot...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Sorry, I wrongly assumed it was `java.compiler` (the library module), but
> this is about `jdk.compiler` (the tool)... Nevertheless, the same question
> applies: Does `jdk.compiler` have any meaningful functionality even without
> `jdk.zipfs` ?

This came up in JDK 9 and the decision at the time was not to require jdk.zipfs
as it's a service provider module. The addition of the source launcher, the
addition of --enable-preview, and more use of --release N means more ct.sym
usage. It probably isn't too interesting to have a small runtime image that
contains jdk.compiler and not jdk.zipfs so Adam's proposal mightn't be too bad,
it's just a bit weird and not something that we'd want other libraries in the
eco system to do.