As you know, dfs client connects to the individual datanodes to read/write data and has a minimal interaction with the Namenode, which improves the io rate linearly(theoretically 1:1). However current implementation of webdav interface, is just a server working on a single machine, which translates the webdav requests to namenode. Thus the whole traffic passes through this webdav server, which makes it a bottleneck. I was planning to integrate webdav server with namenode/datanode, and forward the requests to the other datanodes, so that we can do io in parallel, but my focus on webdav has faded for now.

Alban Chevignard wrote:
What are the scalability issues associated with the current WebDAV interface?

Thanks,
-Alban