Chris Kline reported a problem in early January where a file which had too
few replicated blocks did not get replicated until a DFS restart.

I just saw a similar issue.  I had a file that had a block with 1 replica (2
required) that did not get replicated.  I changed the number of required
replicates, but nothing caused any action.  Changing the number of required
replicas on other files got them to be replicated.

I eventually copied the file to temp, deleted the original and moved the
copy back to the original place.  I was also able to read the entire file
which shows that the problem was not due to slow reporting from a down
datanode.

This happened just after I had a node failure which was why I was messing
with replication at all.  Since I was in the process of increasing the
replication on nearly 10,000 large files, my log files are full of other
stuff, but I am pretty sure that there is a bug here.

This was on a relatively small cluster with 13 data nodes.

It also brings up a related issue that has come up before in that there are
times when you may want to increase the number of replicas of a file right
NOW.  I don't know of any way to force this replication.  Is there such a
way?